Before I came to Baltimore I thought I understood and knew the definition of what a thunderstorm was through my experiences of living in Utah. The Utah thunderstorm definition being: 'Crack of lightning and the roar of thunder every 15 minutes with a sprinkle of rain here and there'. Since living in Maryland, I have now come to a quick understanding that Utah thunderstorms are weak compared to the severe thunderstorms you get out in the plains/east coast. Definition of Baltimore thunderstorm: 'fabulous light show with great surround sound for hours of entertainment, caught without an umbrella? Sucks to be you'.
Out here you can watch the storms build up and expand for as far as the eye can see, even cooler you can watch the lightning stikes and hear the thunder coming for hours. Although the daytime storms are cool, the storms are even better at night only because it is as a light show from each lightning stike that lights up the black clouds.
As the storm approaches, the light becomes more distinct and the thunder sounds like a gun shot depending on how close the lightning struck. When it rains out here, it pours for hours at a time! Rain in Utah is a sight less seen and takes only several minutes before it's over. Here I feel like it never ends and depending on the storm you get good sized hail will come from the sky!
I have never experienced anything like this before, the first couple of storms we had out here {which it happens to rain at least once a week} have amazed me because I didn't know these storms were possible!
Jeez, was I naive!
*I didn't take these pictures, Google did an amazing job for me so I borrowed them. There was no intentions of stealing, promise!*


No comments:
Post a Comment